March 1, 2021

Raid on gynae’s office not racially motivated, says health ministry

2 min read
Deputy Health Minister Dr Lee Boon Chye says the raid was carried out in accordance with the ministry’s SOP and there was no violence.

IPOH: The health ministry said a raid on a gynaecologist’s office in Bukit Damansara, Kuala Lumpur, on Wednesday was not racially motivated but to protect the health of the people.

Deputy Health Minister Dr Lee Boon Chye said the raid on DHA Healthcare Enterprise was carried out in the interest of the public and had nothing to do with racism

“Do not think that everything is related to a racial issue because anyone can get sick,” he told reporters after opening the Special Needs Across Life Span seminar at Fatimah Hospital here today.

The raid had been criticised by netizens after it was alleged that it was carried out in a non-civilised and unfair manner.

Earlier, the gynaecologist had posted about the raid on Facebook, saying the officers came with neither notice nor clear motives and that he was taken aback by their harsh mannerism.

On Thursday, Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya Federal Territories Health Department director Dr Param Jeeth Singh said in a statement the inspection was carried out following a tip-off that the office had healthcare products not registered with the ministry.

Lee defended the enforcement team which carried out the inspection, saying they followed the ministry’s standard operating procedure (SOP) and that they had not used any violence.

“This clinic has two issues, first it is not registered and second, there are reports that it is selling items not registered with the ministry.

“The raid was made in the interest of the public’s health. To have a different view is normal. If the party wants to take legal action against the ministry, it is their right to do so,” he said.

He said a clinic could not operate if it was not licensed or registered under the Private Healthcare Facilities and Services Act (1998).

On a separate note, Lee said the ministry welcomed the suggestion by Communications and Multimedia Minister Gobind Singh Deo to ban the online sale and promotion of electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) and vape.

“We are concerned about the online promotion of e-cigarettes and vape, so we welcome the effort by MCMC to restrict the online sale of these products.

“We are working with MCMC to take action against the sale of vape liquid containing nicotine as this is prohibited under the Poisons Act 1952,” he said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *